We’re back with this week’s talking points, including a MAJOR development on the USSF Presidential race that’s got everyone chatting. Let’s get to talking.
- When the men’s team failed to qualify for the World Cup in October, we immediately called for the resignation of President Sunil Gulati. Although he has not resigned, he decided on Monday to not seek re-election in February of next year. This is welcome news, and we’re looking forward to sharing our forums featuring the current candidates over the next two months.
- Gulati’s decision has blown the race wide open, and since his announcement even more candidates have been added to the mix. Soccer United Marketing President Kathy Carter has thrown her hat into the ring, penning an open letter on her candidacy today. Rumor has it Gulati would like to see her take his place.
- New team. New chances. A squad expected to have a lot of new faces will take on Bosnia and Herzegovina in LA on 1/28. Come support the new guys.
- Jozy scored perhaps the biggest goal of his MLS career last week. This sweet finish proved to be the deciding goal in the Eastern Conference finals, sending Toronto FC through to another MLS Cup Final. Catch the final on Saturday at 3pm CT on ESPN.
- Across from TFC at the MLS Cup table is Seattle. A goal from Deuce helped set up a rematch of last years final. Also, him and his son are pretty damn cute.
- Shaq Moore continues to impress in Spain. The youngster got his third straight start for Levante over the weekend after reportedly signing a newly minted contract with the La Liga side. Check out beIN’s profile on the American.
- John Brooks hasn’t needed much time to get up to speed following his injury. Starting for Wolfsburg, he put up some impressive stats in a 3-0 win over Fabian Johnson’s Borussia Mönchengladbach side.
- The USWNT announced its first game of 2018 – a January friendly against Denmark in San Diego. The team will look to settle its squad ahead of World Cup Qualifying this year, so grab your tickets, get loud and let’s help the women get into gear.
- Crystal Dunn grabbed a goal for Chelsea last weekend, helping the team put up a snowman on Yeovil Town. This comes on the back of a great assist to help the Blues get past Rosengard in the Champions League Round of 16.
- Heading into World Cup Qualifying next year, some questions still linger about eh defending champs. Graham Hayes reviewed the year for the USWNT and took a look at what lies ahead for the squad.
- The U17 boys finished off the Nike Friendlies in Florida with their strongest showing of the tournament. The young pups earned a 1-1 result against Brazil after losses to England and the Netherlands earlier in the week.
- This week, the U20 girls’ side will look to showcase the future of the USWNT in the same tournament. The team will take on England on Thursday at 6:30pm ET. Check out the full schedule here, and stream the games live at ussoccer.com.